Meet the elephant man full documentary

Discovery Channel – Meet the Elephant Man | IMA Solutions

meet the elephant man full documentary

3D biomechanic simulations to create the 3D shots of this 90′ Discovery Channel documentary. > Look at Elephant Man's autopsy,the 3D model production. It's been over years since the death of Joseph Merrick, 'The Elephant Man'. Now, using Merrick's skeleton, a team of experts have brought Joseph Merrick. Joseph Merrick was, for much of his lifetime was regarded as a freak, a sideshow exhibit, a figure of derision. However, because of the unique friendship of one.

Meet the Elephant Man : Programs : Discovery World : Discovery Press Web

Treves begins to question the morality of his actions. Meanwhile, a night porter named Jim starts selling tickets to locals, who come at night to gawk at the "Elephant Man. However, Merrick is soon kidnapped by Bytes during one of Jim's raucous late-night showings.

Bytes leaves England and takes Merrick on the road as a circus attraction once again. Treves confronts Jim about what he has done, and Mothershead fires him. Merrick manages to escape from Bytes with the help of his fellow freakshow attractions.

Upon returning to London, he is harassed through Liverpool Street station by several young boys and accidentally knocks down a young girl.

  • The Elephant Man (Documentary)
  • Meet the Elephant Man

Merrick is chased, unmasked, and cornered by an angry mob. He cries, "I am not an elephant! I am not an animal! On returning home one day inhe was severely beaten by his father and he left home for good.

His uncle, a barber named Charles Merrick, heard of his nephew's situation, sought him out and offered him accommodation in his home.

meet the elephant man full documentary

Eventually, his disfigurement drew such negative attention from members of the public that the Commissioners for Hackney Carriages withdrew his licence when it came up for renewal.

The class system determined which department or ward he would reside as well as the amounts of food he would receive. Joseph was classed as class one for able bodied males and females.

With no more success than before, he found himself with no option but to return to the workhouse. This time he stayed for four years. The protrusion from his mouth had grown to 8—9 inches and severely inhibited his speech and made it difficult to eat. Merrick wrote to Torr, who came and visited him at the workhouse. Torr decided that he could make money exhibiting Merrick; although, to retain Merrick's novelty, he would have to be a travelling exhibit.

Ellis, travelling showman George Hitchcock, and fair owner Sam Roper. On 3 AugustMerrick departed the workhouse to start his new career. Today it sells saris. George Hitchcock contacted an acquaintance, showman Tom Normanwho ran penny gaff shops in London's East End exhibiting human curiosities. Without a meeting, Norman agreed to take over Merrick's management and in November, Hitchcock travelled with Merrick to London.

Merrick had an iron bed with a curtain drawn around to afford him some privacy. Norman observed Merrick asleep one morning and learnt that he always slept sitting up, with his legs drawn up and his head resting on his knees. His enlarged head was too heavy to allow him to sleep lying down and, as Merrick put it, he would risk "waking with a broken neck".

This biography, whether written by Merrick or not, provided a generally accurate account of his life. It contained an incorrect date of birth but, throughout his life, Merrick was vague about when he was born. Before doing so I ask you please to prepare yourselves—Brace yourselves up to witness one who is probably the most remarkable human being ever to draw the breath of life.

meet the elephant man full documentary

He would then lead his onlookers into the shop, explaining that the Elephant Man was "not here to frighten you but to enlighten you". The Elephant Man exhibit was moderately successful, and made money primarily from the sales of the autobiographical pamphlet. Like his colleagues, Tuckett was intrigued by the Elephant Man's deformities and told his senior colleague Frederick Treves. Later that day, he sent Tuckett back to the shop to ask if Merrick might be willing to come to the hospital for an examination.

Norman and Merrick agreed. He noted that his skin was covered in papillomata warty growthsthe largest of which exuded an unpleasant smell. There were bone deformities in the right arm, both legs, and, most conspicuously, in the large skull. His left arm and hand were not large and were not deformed. His penis and scrotum were normal.

Apart from his deformities and the lameness in his hip, Treves concluded that Merrick appeared to be in good general health.

According to Norman, he said he was "stripped naked and felt like an animal in a cattle market".

meet the elephant man full documentary

Shows like Norman's were a cause for public concern, both on the grounds of decency and due to the disruption caused by crowds gathering outside them. Merrick remained a horrifying spectacle for his viewers and Roper grew nervous about the negative attention the Elephant Man drew from local authorities.

Joseph Merrick

Inafter four years in the workhouse, Merrick contacted a showman named Sam Torr and proposed that Torr should exhibit him. Torr agreed and arranged for a group of men to manage Merrick, whom they named the Elephant Man. After touring the East Midlands, Merrick traveled to London to be exhibited in a penny gaff shop on Whitechapel Road which was rented by showman Tom Norman. Norman's shop, directly across the street from the London Hospital, was visited by a surgeon named Frederick Treves, who invited Merrick to be examined and photographed.

Soon after Merrick's visits to the hospital, Tom Norman's shop was closed by the police, and Merrick's managers sent him to tour in Europe. In Belgium, Merrick was robbed by his road manager and abandoned in Brussels. He eventually made his way back to London; unable to communicate, he was found by the police to have Dr. Treves's card on him. Treves came and took Merrick back to the London Hospital.

Although his condition was incurable, Merrick was allowed to stay at the hospital for the remainder of his life.